Friday, September 20, 2013

A Brief Interlude on My Knees



 I knew that this year would be different - my last child married, another living in Germany with her family, taking a needed break from teaching the wonderful group of ladies that it's been my privilege to lead in Bible study for eight years, the decision to spend a quiet Christmas in Illinois rather than travel to the East Coast as we have every year of our marriage.  I asked the Lord how I should spend this new, quiet time in my life. I planned a few trips, piled up some books, acquired some potential projects and expected to organize the chaotic corners of my house and my life. I would also finish writing about Israel and organize the thousands of pictures from our time there.

But that wasn't God's plan. The phone rang and I was told of an accident that left a friend with broken bones in her neck,spine and arm and a need for care. I knew that she needed a place to recuperate; and, before I even had time to think, my empty nest was no longer empty and I was learning to tighten the neck brace that, hopefully, will allow her to heal and prevent even greater and more permanent injury. I know that I'm doing what I should yet I an wondering how I will juggle it with other responsibilities of upcoming travel and future guests. Oh Lord what have I done? 


Yet I'm doing what I should and I need to trust. Tonight I'm feeling a bit of panic, but God is in control and He has a plan. This did not take Him by surprise, because He is the God who is never surprised.  I can only give it to Him and trust that He will use this time for eternal good in the lives of those around me. The following verses have become my mantra as I seek to follow HIm.


Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.                                                                                                                                 I Peter 1:3-7



So the saga continues not with thoughtfully written commentary on time an places in the Holy Land, not with completed projects and an organized house, but with trust in God for strength, provision and His great power in my little corner of the world. And He will be there!









No comments:

Post a Comment